How to do PAN card Correction ?
Permanent Account Number (PAN) is a type of document that holds extreme importance in India. It is not only for Income Tax purposes, but it is also used as identity proof. Any information on your PAN is incorrect; then, it can lead you to various problems in future. So it is always recommended to correct the mistakes and inaccuracies in your PAN.
Applying for online update and PAN card Correction.
It is an easily update/correct your details in a PAN card by following the below-mentioned steps:
- Step 1- Visit www.tin-nsdl.com, the official website of NSDL E-Governance.
- Step 2- Under the written Services Section, you need to Click on “PAN”.
- Step 3- Just Click on “Apply” under “Change or a Correction in PAN Data” section.
- Step 4- From the dropdown menu ‘Application Type’, select ‘Changes or Correction in existing PAN data or option Reprint of PAN Card ( it doesn’t make any changes in Existing PAN Data)’.
- Step 5- From the dropdown menu ‘Category’, select the appropriate category of the assessee.
E.g., if the registration of PAN is in your name, like ‘Individual’ from the mentioned list.
- Step 6- Now, enter your personal details like name, date of birth, email address, and mobile number.
- Step 7- Fill in the Captcha mentioned on the page and click on the “Submit” button.
- Step 8- Then, your request will be registered, and a Token Number will be provided to you in your email ID, which has been provided. Then you can proceed with the process further by clicking the button which is given below it.
- Step 9- After proceeding further, you will be redirected to the page where you can get access to the form – there, you can see three options for submitting your documents; click on “Submit scanned images through the portal of e-Sign on NSDL e-gov”.
- Step 10- Provide all the necessary details such as your father’s name, mother’s name (optional), your Aadhaar number and then click on ‘Next to proceed further.
- Step 11- You will now have proceeded towards a new page where you can get access to updating your address.
- Step 12- Upload all the necessary documents required, such as proof of address, age, identity and PAN.
- Step 13- You are required to sign the declaration and click on the mentioned button as “Submit”.
- Step 14- Then, you will be basically redirected to the page where you can make payment. Payments can be made through various options like demand draft, net banking, and even credit card/debit cards.
- Step 15- Once the payment is successful, an acknowledgement slip will be generated. The applicant should print it and send it to the NSDL e-gov office, including the physical proof of documents. Also, please attach a photograph in the space provided in the form and sign across it. Mention in the state as ‘Application for PAN Change’ with the acknowledgement number on top of the envelope.
Note: You have to now pay the fee for a correcting or a update your PAN details which is basically 110 INR if communication address is basically located within country and a 1,020 INR if communication address is located in another country.
Steps for Applying for PAN Card Offline for PAN card Correction form.
For the offline application of a PAN Card, you need to follow the steps mentioned below:
- Step 1- Download the Request for New PAN Form.
- Step2- Fill all of the mandatory type of fields in form a carefully
- Step 3- Attach the supporting documents such as the proof of identity, proof of address, passport size photographs, etc.
- Step 4- Once done, submit the form to the nearest NSDL collection centre.
- Step 5- You will have to pay the charges for applying for a new PAN Card, i.e. 93 INR for the communication address of Indian Citizens and 864 INR if the communication address is outside the country ( By excluding the Goods and Services Taxes).
- Step 6- You will get a 15-digit acknowledgement number to track the PAN Card application status.
Note: You are also required to file a letter under the directions of the jurisdictional Assessing Officer. All the details needed for the offline form are the same as those in the online form.
However, there are a few points that one should keep in their mind-
This form is used to correct your existing PAN, reissue of PAN, and purpose surrendering an extra PAN Card. So, before proceeding to fill out the form, carefully tick on the boxes.
Once you have submitted the form, you will get an acknowledgement slip to the NSDL office. This letter should be reached to the office within 15 days of filing the request.
Fees for Update or PAN card Correction.
For correction in PAN card details, you are required to pay the costs towards the same. The amount of the price is the same for new PAN applications and PAN update/correction. The charges are:
- 110 INR, if the communication address is within India.
- 1,020 INR if the communication address is of a foreign country (Outside India).
How to make changes in the Name in PAN Card for PAN card Correction?
There can be situations where incorrect names are written/printed on a PAN card. There are several cases where people don’t know how to change the name on the PAN card after marriage. In such situations, you can update terms in it.
For changing the name on a PAN Card online, follow these steps, which are mentioned below:
For applying online, the request can be placed through TIN-NSDL (TAX INFORMATION NETWORK-NATIONAL SECURITY DEPOSITORY LIMITED) or UTIITSL (UTI Infrastructure Technology And Services Limited).
- The PAN card Form has to be correctly filled by keeping in mind that all the provided details are correct.
- The photograph has to be attached, and the form has to be signed before submitting.
- In the case of an offline application, a demand draft in the name of NSDL has to be delivered along with the application form to the registered address of NSDL.
- The payment must be made online using a debit/credit card or net banking in the online application.
- Then 15-digit acknowledgement number is generated, which can be used for checking the PAN card status.
- Once submitted successfully, within 45 days of the application updated PAN card is delivered to the applicant’s address.
- The address of the cardholder is not mentioned on the PAN card.
- The applicant’s address is mentioned in the form, which is filled for the application to send the hard copy of the PAN card by post. You can also get the address updated by filling the form 49A application correction offline.
- The address cannot be changed for the form which is filed online and has been authenticated by using the Aadhaar OTP. The address which is given in the Aadhaar database is taken as your address by default.
- If you want to change this address, you would have to get the address updated first on your Aadhaar card and fill up the PAN Card Form 49A.
Required Documents for making changes in PAN Card Details doing PAN card Correction
A host of a documents is basically required to be update with a existing PAN details in order to submitted to a NSDL and a application form. The form and the papers are then submitted to the nearest PAN Card centres present across India.
Now, let’s have a closer view of those documents that can act as proof of identity, address, date of birth and existing PAN:
- For individuals and HUF:
|ID PROOF||RESIDENT PROOF|
|1. Aadhaar Card which is issued by the UIDAI||1. Aadhaar Card which is issued by the UIDAI|
|2. Photo identity card of the elector||2. Photo identity card of the elector|
|3. Driving License||3. Driving License|
|4. Passport||4. Passport|
|5. Ration card which is having a photograph of the applicant||5. Passport of the spouse|
|6. Arm’s license||6. Post office passbook which is having the address of the applicant|
|7. Photo identity card which is basically issued by Central Government or a State Government or undertaken by the Public Sector||7. Assessment order of the latest property tax|
|8. Pensioner card which consist with the photograph of the applicant||8. Domicile certificate which is mainly to issued by the Government|
|9. Health Service Scheme Card issued by the central government or photo card of Ex-Servicemen Contributory Health Scheme||9. Accommodation allotment letter which is issued by the Central government or State government of not more than three years old|
|10. Document of Property Registration|
|1. Aadhaar card which is issued by the UIDAI|
|2. Photo identity card of the elector|
|3. Driving license|
|5. Educational proof like Matriculation certificate or Mark sheet which is issued by any recognised board|
|6. Birth certificate which is Basically issued by a municipal authority/ cooperation or any office who is authorised for issuing birth certificate and death certificate by the Registrar of Birth and Deaths or the Indian Consulate which is defined in clause (d) of sub-section (1) of section 2 of the Citizenship Act, 1955 (57 of 1955)|
|7. Photo identity card which is mainly issued by Central Government or a State Government or Central Public Sector which is Undertaken or State Public Sector Undertaking|
|8. Domicile certificate which is basically issued by the Government|
|9. Health Service Scheme photo card issued by the central government or photo card of Ex-servicemen Contributory Health Scheme; or
Pension payment order
|10. Marriage certificate which is issued by the Registrar of Marriages|
|11. Affidavit sworn before a magistrate before stating the date of birth|
Copy of any of the documents should be provided along with the form of PAN correction. If none of those as mentioned above documents is available, then these can also work –
A certificate in original should be signed by an MP (Member of Parliament) or MLA (Member of Legislative Assembly).
Municipal Councillor or a Gazetted officer may also work as identity or address proof as the case may be (in prescribed format).
Bank certificate in an Original on the letterhead from a branch (along with the name and a stamp of issuing officer) containing a duly attested photograph and bank account number of the applicant (in prescribed format).
Employer certificate in original (in prescribed format).
For Indian companies or Entities incorporated in India/Unincorporated entities formed in India –
|Company||Certificate of a Registration which is basically issued by the Registrar of Companies.|
|Partnership Firm||Certificate of a Registration which is basically issued by Registrar of Firms or Copy of partnership deed.|
|Limited Liability Partnership||Certificate of a Registration which is issued by the Registrar of LLPs|
|Trust||A Trust deed or a copy of the certificate of registration number which is issued by Charity Commissioner.|
|Association of Person, Body of Individuals,
Local Authority, or Artificial Juridical Person
|Agreement or certificate of registration number which is issued by a charity commissioner or a registrar of a cooperative society or any of other type of competent authority or any of other document which is originated by any Central or a State Government Department which is establishing identity and a address of such person.|
For Individuals and HUFs who is not a citizen of India.
Proof for Identification:
- Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) card, which the Indian Government issues.
- Person of Indian Origin (PIO) card, which is issued by the Indian Government.
- Several other citizenships or national Identification Number or Taxpayer Identification Number which is duly attested by the ‘Apostille’ (in respect of those countries which are endorsed to the Hague Apostille Convention of 1961) or even by the Indian Embassy or other High Commission or Consulate in the country where the applicant is based or authorized officials of overseas branches of Scheduled Banks which are registered in India in the various prescribed format.
Proof of Resident (Address):
- Issued passport.
- Person of Indian Origin (PIO) card, which is issued by the Indian government.
- Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) card, which is issued by Indian government.
- Statement of Bank account from the resident country.
- Non-resident External (NRE) bank account statement issued in India.
- Certificate of Residence in India or Residential, which is permitted and issued by the authorities of State Police.
- Registration certificate, which is issued by the Foreigner’s Registration Office by showing the Indian address.
- Visa which is always granted & a Copy of an appointment letter or an contract from the Company in Indian & the Certificate (in a original) of type of Indian address which is issued by the company.
- Other national identification number or citizenship Identification Number or Taxpayer Identification Number which is duly attested by the ‘Apostille’ (regarding the countries which are endorsed in The Hague Apostille Convention of 1961) or by the Embassy of India or High Commission or Consulate in the country where the applicant is based or officials who are authorized of overseas branches of Scheduled Banks which are registered in India (in prescribed format).
For Corporate Entities who are having no office of their own in India –Proof of Identity and Address:
Registration certificate which is basically is issued by the country where the applicant is based, duly attested by the ‘Apostille’ (in respect of the countries who are endorsed of the Hague Apostille Convention of 1961) or by the Embassy of India or Highly Commissioned official or Consulate in the country where the applicant is based or authorized officials of overseas branches of Scheduled Banks registered in India (in prescribed format).
Registration certificate which is issued in a India or a approval granted to basically set up a office in India by an Indian Authorities.
Reasons for PAN card Correction
There can be several reasons behind people changing their names on PAN cards. Some of the reasons are as follows:
- Wrongly spelt name in PAN card.
- PAN card surname change after marriage.
- The name changed legally.
My Name is Nadeem Shaikh the founder of nadeemacademy.com. I am a Qualified Chartered Accountant, B. com and M.Com. having professional and specialize experience in field of Account, Finance, and Taxation. Total experience of 20 years in providing businesses solution in Taxation, Accounting, and Finance with all statutory compliance with timely business performance Financials reports. You can contact me on email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.